Skip to main content

Drought Grows More Perilous

Last week I gave a worst case assessment of the effects of the drought on corn, soy and other crops, and it's potential political effect as hunger grows.  Now evaluations of the damage to the corn crop are moving in my direction, but the media is still underplaying it's potential effect on hunger.

Poverty in this country has returned to the early 1960's level and hunger near that as food stamps, in real dollars, don't stretch to feed low income families.  Last month the government said that food prices will increase by 3-4%, now they are admitting to more, but they say it doesn't matter because people will adjust by changing what they will by.  With the House trying to cut back on food stamps, I have to ask for poor families to what: white rice and potatoes? Meat and dairy, corn flakes, prepared foods, etc will soon be out of reach for the a wider segment of low income of people.

Meanwhile 20% of our corn crop is committed to the production of ethanol, when much more efficient sources for ethanol are available.    This when PBS reports last night that half  the U.S. is plagued by the drought. (http://www.pbs.org/newshour/bb/weather/july-dec12/drought_08-10.html)



Again we call on Congress to increase, not decrease, resources for food and to post pone cuts to farm subsidies, or implement a better, rational system of agricultural management now.  In addition we need to reduce the percentage of our grain crop invested in corn and increase the percentage of corn that is drought resistant. For years it has been known that our corn crop was vulnerable to drought by comparison with high desert forms of corn, such as the Hopi Blue Corn and Hopi Red Corn .  (See:  http://books.google.com/books?hl=en&lr=&id=qxUFAAAAYAAJ&oi=fnd&pg=PA293&dq=hopi+corn+drought+resistance&ots=TYfk0wPSoC&sig=V-R0cnWvLZcIi_DBCPswTdiIp20#v=onepage&q=hopi%20corn%20drought%20resistance&f=false)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Serenading the Donkey

Over the years I have had many times when I have had to call out others on their words, behavior, or attitudes on race, class or ethnicity and I have used a variety of means to get my point across.  The first  such incident was when I was 13 years old and my sister and a friend were skipping rope to the rope song that uses the "N_" word.   I said we don't use that word in this place and the girls argued with me about it. I just said that if they used that word I would go tell Grandpa, and they complied.  In a high school the teacher had let the discussion degenerate and the topic of "welfare" came up and a girl stated  an old stereotype that my Daddy says "All the blacks go pick up their welfare checks in Cadillacs."  I wanted that direction of the conversation to end immediately, so I blurted out "Well your Daddy is a racist."  There was silence in the room for a couple of minutes and then the teacher changed the subject.  When people have b
 Striking at Bourgeois Values with "Free Stuff"  Why is it that in middle class neighborhoods no one would think anything of it if you are having a "yard sale"  or a "moving sale", spending your entire day selling your possessions at pennies on the dollar, a tenth of what you could get on E-Bay, making less than the federal minimum wage for your efforts, but they would shrink in horror from a "free stuff pile".  What is the world coming from that  they place so little value on material possessions that they would give it away for nothing.  Someone will surely complain that you are doing "illegal dumping", even if you tend the pile and fold things back up.  Fortunately for me, I live in a neighborhood with a heavy student population, north of Seattle's University of Washington campus, and such a pile is welcome.  Having purged the house of unneeded things that aren't worth my time trying to sell (unlike my art, which I will find