Skip to main content

Wiki Nation

One of the most popular internet sites, as I sure most or all of my readers know if Wikipedia. (if not see: http://www.wikipedia.org/) Wikipedia, the online, cooperatively written, encyclopedia is remarkable in that, though almost anyone can write or edit it's articles, it has been proven to be more accurate than Encyclopedia Britannica.   This in spite of some saboteurs now and then.  It seems that the multitude of willing volunteers corrects mistakes, accidental or deliberate, and finds references for undocumented items, much more efficiently than a single expert. Wikipedia is a horse built by committee that does not look like a camel, but in fact like a fine Arabian steed.

Yesterday my post dealt with ways to create a society that was simultaneously more egalitarian and freer.  I dealt with big ideas like  subsidiarity, communitarianism, etc.
(see http://roominhouseblues.blogspot.com/2010/11/some-ideas-on-greater-equality-without.html)

Today I wanted to focus on a way of cooperating, the Wiki idea.  In a sense it's a very old idea, the idea that many hands make light work.  The idea of distributing the labor. But reframed with --I will leave it there for you, part done, and some of you can finish it.  The idea of a project that   can be contributed to at any time from many sources.  It's the wonder of the computer age and cybernetics that this is possible.

It may be possible that certain parts of our economic and political organization can be done this way.   Perhaps we can engage in cooperative trading organizations with a multiplicity of suppliers using the computer network.  The application of Wiki to Time Share organizations might be interesting.  Wiki is ultimately an application of the principle of subsidiarity.  Well reader--any ideas on this?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Seeking the Romance of Life

A recent trip back to California, where I spent the middle half of my life (the part between the Seattle bookends)  and other smaller events have made me reflective of past events and places.  My brothers and I stopped in Santa Cruz, briefly, where I had lived for years, and stopped by a nightclub I had spent time in, the Catalyst, and asked the bartender the current status of local things. I found out Club Zayante in the Santa Cruz Mountain had closed.  When I got home I researched the Club, which was once of the hottest nightclubs in Central California to learn what happened.  I found out the club had closed for financial reasons then burned down. But what I learned about the owner, Tom Louagie intrigued me. He had come out from the east coast on a romantic quest, to find the Cannery Row he had read in Steinbeck. He had the idea of moving there and living a literary dream from the past.  He didn't know that that Cannery Row had died...

Swing States Swinging Against Meat Axe Budget Cuts and Anti-Labor Laws

Polls are showing wide swings of voters away from recently elected Republicans who are charing ahead with budget cuts and dismemberment of collective bargaining for public employee unions.   These polls are holding also for many of the recently elected Republican Congress people and in many states where the politics has been less volatile than the Upper Mid-West States. In Wisconsin, polls suggest that if there was a do over of the gubernatorial race in which Scott Walker decisively beat Tom Barret, Barrett would easily win by 52%.  Walker's support in union households has dropped from 40% to 33% and Tom Barrett's union household support has jumped from 54% to 64%.  Barrett's support among Republicans has risen to 10%.  In Michigan the new Governor created what people are calling financial martical law, where he can declare a financial emergency in a local government, take it over, and void union contracts. ...