Skip to main content

A Letter from National Peoples Action


Here is the letter I got from National Peoples Action.  I called John Walsh and tried to talk to him, but he wasn't taking the calls.  The poor receptionist was having to record and forward them all.  I said, that's okay, your just doing your job.  Give John a call.    I have a u-tube on the National Peoples Action demonstrations and two foreclosure blues songs for you today. 
Dear Joseph,
Right now, more than 500 people are making lots of noise outside the Office of the Comptroller of the Currency – the worst bank regulator that you never heard of.   They are demanding that the OCC stop throwing homeowners under the bus in the their tireless efforts to protect the big banks.

Join the crowd by calling OCC Chief John Walsh right now at 202-874-5000.  Tell him, “We need the OCC to take its responsibility seriously and hold banks accountable for fixing the foreclosure mess.”  And be sure to follow the day’s events on Twitter at #makewallstpay

Over the past weeks, it has emerged that this little-known bank regulator is working hard to weaken any settlement that the Attorneys General and other bank regulator reach with the big banks on their fraudulent foreclosure practices.  

Yes, that’s right.  The biggest threat to a strong settlement actually comes from the very regulator who is supposed to be protecting us from the bank’s abusive behavior.  But this isn’t anything new for the OCC.  For years, they’ve turned a blind eye to the worst financial abuses on Wall Street.

We have to tell them, “Stop!”  Call OCC Chief John Walsh right now at 202-874-5000. 

Together, we can make sure this a “settlement that fits the crime.”
Thank you,
National People's Action
PICO National Network
Alliance for a Just Society
Alliance of Californians for Community Empowerment
IAF Southeast

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Seeking the Romance of Life

A recent trip back to California, where I spent the middle half of my life (the part between the Seattle bookends)  and other smaller events have made me reflective of past events and places.  My brothers and I stopped in Santa Cruz, briefly, where I had lived for years, and stopped by a nightclub I had spent time in, the Catalyst, and asked the bartender the current status of local things. I found out Club Zayante in the Santa Cruz Mountain had closed.  When I got home I researched the Club, which was once of the hottest nightclubs in Central California to learn what happened.  I found out the club had closed for financial reasons then burned down. But what I learned about the owner, Tom Louagie intrigued me. He had come out from the east coast on a romantic quest, to find the Cannery Row he had read in Steinbeck. He had the idea of moving there and living a literary dream from the past.  He didn't know that that Cannery Row had died...

Swing States Swinging Against Meat Axe Budget Cuts and Anti-Labor Laws

Polls are showing wide swings of voters away from recently elected Republicans who are charing ahead with budget cuts and dismemberment of collective bargaining for public employee unions.   These polls are holding also for many of the recently elected Republican Congress people and in many states where the politics has been less volatile than the Upper Mid-West States. In Wisconsin, polls suggest that if there was a do over of the gubernatorial race in which Scott Walker decisively beat Tom Barret, Barrett would easily win by 52%.  Walker's support in union households has dropped from 40% to 33% and Tom Barrett's union household support has jumped from 54% to 64%.  Barrett's support among Republicans has risen to 10%.  In Michigan the new Governor created what people are calling financial martical law, where he can declare a financial emergency in a local government, take it over, and void union contracts. ...