Skip to main content

Odds and Ends

I'm going to start tying together short items once in a while as odds and ends. Some of the comments may not be strictly on the main points of this blog, but I'll try not to stray too far. If you leave comments after these items please indicate which item you are responding, if it isn't obvious.

Please pray for a little boy named Yohannes (John) is a hospital in Portland.  I bumped into his Father, Fiasal, whom I know from Blessed Sacrament, both the parish and the food bank.  Fiasal was trying to get up the money to go down and see his some, and cannot rest until he sees him.  Yohannes is about to have a Leukemia transfusion.

I hope that all of you had a great Thanksgiving.  I am told, and take as an article of faith, that hot gravy covers a multitude of sins.

This just in from the Consistent Life Newsletter:
"Brother David Buer, OFM, “the Friar to the homeless,” received the National Peace Award from the Secular Franciscan Order.  Brother Buer was a speaker at CL’s San Francisco Conference some years back.  He urges bringing the poor, the homeless, and the migrants into our circle of love.  He has established Poverello houses to serve the homeless in several cities and has set up cooling centers where homeless people can escape the oppressive summer heat of Arizona."


Whispers in the Loggia has a great new term for the Black Friday crowds: Flash mob.  See http://whispersintheloggia.blogspot.com/2010/11/black-friday-flash-mob.html 

The squirrel that I talked about in a previous post (http://roominhouseblues.blogspot.com/2010/11/feed-without-measure.html) is probably going to get fat.  I have been giving him two slices of bread a day but for Thanksgiving I gave him three.

 And speaking of yesterday, while having coffee at the Tulley's I finished the whole of the New York Times crossword puzzle. Thank you to the smart people with the lap top at the table next to me who helped with three words.  I was going to need to call my Dad, who finishes it almost every day,   if it weren't for them.  Speaking of crosswords, does anyone know Yoko's maiden name?

After going to the food bank at Blessed Sacrament I decided to treat myself, something I haven't done much of lately.  I stopped at the University District, I Love New York Deli to get there Recession Special breakfast sandwich ($1.99 plus tax) and a small coffee ($1.00 plus tax, include refills.)  The serve was nice, two people asked how my sandwich was, and it was good.  The atmosphere is very New York if you want that.  They say business has been good (maybe the economy is picking up!)

There address:

5200 Roosevelt Way NE
(between 52nd St & 53rd St) 
Seattle, WA 98105
Neighborhood: University District


If any of my Seattle friends want to take out a unemployed Seattle blogger for coffee, especially for his big 60 birthday Sunday, just go ahead and fill in the comment section blank...


Finally I had a piece of pumpkin cake I got from the food bank when I got home. It was very good.!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Serenading the Donkey

Over the years I have had many times when I have had to call out others on their words, behavior, or attitudes on race, class or ethnicity and I have used a variety of means to get my point across.  The first  such incident was when I was 13 years old and my sister and a friend were skipping rope to the rope song that uses the "N_" word.   I said we don't use that word in this place and the girls argued with me about it. I just said that if they used that word I would go tell Grandpa, and they complied.  In a high school the teacher had let the discussion degenerate and the topic of "welfare" came up and a girl stated  an old stereotype that my Daddy says "All the blacks go pick up their welfare checks in Cadillacs."  I wanted that direction of the conversation to end immediately, so I blurted out "Well your Daddy is a racist."  There was silence in the room for a couple of minutes and then the teacher changed the subject.  When people have b
 Striking at Bourgeois Values with "Free Stuff"  Why is it that in middle class neighborhoods no one would think anything of it if you are having a "yard sale"  or a "moving sale", spending your entire day selling your possessions at pennies on the dollar, a tenth of what you could get on E-Bay, making less than the federal minimum wage for your efforts, but they would shrink in horror from a "free stuff pile".  What is the world coming from that  they place so little value on material possessions that they would give it away for nothing.  Someone will surely complain that you are doing "illegal dumping", even if you tend the pile and fold things back up.  Fortunately for me, I live in a neighborhood with a heavy student population, north of Seattle's University of Washington campus, and such a pile is welcome.  Having purged the house of unneeded things that aren't worth my time trying to sell (unlike my art, which I will find