Skip to main content

Encouragement from my Friend Mike

I have been wrestling with the idea of trying to write a book again.  I have a couple of unfinished novels in my room and easily enough poetry that I could assemble a volume of poetry.  I have newspaper articles littering the landscape of my life.  Working on a book and actually finishing it is a challenge.

This time I want to write a non-fiction book, my blogging having gone so well.  I feel this call from God to write a book on Christmas. There are many arguments about the nature and origin of Christmas, and the idea of Christmas has a long and varied history.

My friend Mike called tonight to say hi and that he has been reading my blog a lot, so I said that's nice.  Then I told him my idea for this book, detailing how I intend to cover Advent, Christmas Day and the subsequent Christmas season leading to the Baptism of our Lord in chronological order. I discussed how I felt I could answer some of the disputes about Christmas and weave in some of the history while going through the Catholic liturgical calendar for the season.

Mike was very encouraging about my blog and the idea for the book.  He said he would try to leave comments more often. Remember readers, writer need encouragement. C.S. Lewis once said that we read so that we know we are not alone.  I have been known to say, we write so that others know they are not alone.  Readers who write comments help me know that I am not alone. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Seeking the Romance of Life

A recent trip back to California, where I spent the middle half of my life (the part between the Seattle bookends)  and other smaller events have made me reflective of past events and places.  My brothers and I stopped in Santa Cruz, briefly, where I had lived for years, and stopped by a nightclub I had spent time in, the Catalyst, and asked the bartender the current status of local things. I found out Club Zayante in the Santa Cruz Mountain had closed.  When I got home I researched the Club, which was once of the hottest nightclubs in Central California to learn what happened.  I found out the club had closed for financial reasons then burned down. But what I learned about the owner, Tom Louagie intrigued me. He had come out from the east coast on a romantic quest, to find the Cannery Row he had read in Steinbeck. He had the idea of moving there and living a literary dream from the past.  He didn't know that that Cannery Row had died...

Swing States Swinging Against Meat Axe Budget Cuts and Anti-Labor Laws

Polls are showing wide swings of voters away from recently elected Republicans who are charing ahead with budget cuts and dismemberment of collective bargaining for public employee unions.   These polls are holding also for many of the recently elected Republican Congress people and in many states where the politics has been less volatile than the Upper Mid-West States. In Wisconsin, polls suggest that if there was a do over of the gubernatorial race in which Scott Walker decisively beat Tom Barret, Barrett would easily win by 52%.  Walker's support in union households has dropped from 40% to 33% and Tom Barrett's union household support has jumped from 54% to 64%.  Barrett's support among Republicans has risen to 10%.  In Michigan the new Governor created what people are calling financial martical law, where he can declare a financial emergency in a local government, take it over, and void union contracts. ...