Skip to main content

Mail Bag

More mail from public citizen.  I give you the reader lots of chances to participate in letter writing campaigns. This one is to Congress.


Public Citizen
Joseph,

Through tax breaks, loopholes and subsidies, billions of our tax dollars are being transferred away from working people and into corporate coffers.

Meanwhile, corporate lobbyists and their allies in Congress are trying to eliminate funding for public protections that benefit the American people.

Our tax dollars should be used to prevent reckless corporations from ransacking our economy, poisoning our environment and injuring workers — not to pad corporate profits.

Let’s tell Congress: Stop giving away our tax dollars to reckless corporations, and start fully funding the agencies that protect us from corporate wrongdoing.

Right now, the money we give away to corporations that break the law and endanger public health by far surpasses the amount we’re spending to keep them in check:
  • Wall Street gets more than $6 billion in tax breaks; agencies charged with monitoring and holding the industry accountable get just over $1 billion.*
  • Big Agriculture receives more than $7 billion in subsidies; government food safety and inspection services receive just over $1 billion.*
  • And though the government spends more than $11 billion to fund environmental protection, it gives away even more than that (more than $11.5 billion) in tax breaks, write-offs and subsidies to the oil and natural gas industries.*
It’s wasteful. It’s inefficient. And it has to stop.

Tell Congress to fully fund effective regulations and stop giving handouts to corporations.

Go to: www.citizen.org/no-corporate-subsidies

Thanks for all you do,

Rick Claypool
Public Citizen’s Online Action Team
action@citizen.org

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Seeking the Romance of Life

A recent trip back to California, where I spent the middle half of my life (the part between the Seattle bookends)  and other smaller events have made me reflective of past events and places.  My brothers and I stopped in Santa Cruz, briefly, where I had lived for years, and stopped by a nightclub I had spent time in, the Catalyst, and asked the bartender the current status of local things. I found out Club Zayante in the Santa Cruz Mountain had closed.  When I got home I researched the Club, which was once of the hottest nightclubs in Central California to learn what happened.  I found out the club had closed for financial reasons then burned down. But what I learned about the owner, Tom Louagie intrigued me. He had come out from the east coast on a romantic quest, to find the Cannery Row he had read in Steinbeck. He had the idea of moving there and living a literary dream from the past.  He didn't know that that Cannery Row had died...

Swing States Swinging Against Meat Axe Budget Cuts and Anti-Labor Laws

Polls are showing wide swings of voters away from recently elected Republicans who are charing ahead with budget cuts and dismemberment of collective bargaining for public employee unions.   These polls are holding also for many of the recently elected Republican Congress people and in many states where the politics has been less volatile than the Upper Mid-West States. In Wisconsin, polls suggest that if there was a do over of the gubernatorial race in which Scott Walker decisively beat Tom Barret, Barrett would easily win by 52%.  Walker's support in union households has dropped from 40% to 33% and Tom Barrett's union household support has jumped from 54% to 64%.  Barrett's support among Republicans has risen to 10%.  In Michigan the new Governor created what people are calling financial martical law, where he can declare a financial emergency in a local government, take it over, and void union contracts. ...