Skip to main content

Torture is Never Right

I have received more email from NRCAT, The National  Religious Campaign Against Torture, decrying the racist hearings on the Muslim community that Rep. Peter King is calling.


TORTURE IS A MORAL ISSUE




Dear Friends:
Last week we emailed you about a series of hearings that are being held by Rep. Peter King (NY-3) into the “radicalization of the American Muslim community.” In that email, we said that there is a better way to make our nation safe than to inappropriately single out one faith community. Instead our security would be strengthened if the government asked all religious communities in America to work together for our nation’s security. 

Rep. King’s hearings will likely increase anti-Muslim sentiment in America and isolate our Muslim citizens without improving US security. 

Rep. King’s first hearing was today. He has promised to hold additional hearings. Please write a letter to the editor of your local newspaper expressing your hope that the format will be changed to focus on how people of all faiths can work together to end violence. Rep. King must not be allowed to scapegoat one part of the American community.

Please write today. Sample talking points for your letter and general instructions for writing a letter can be found here. 

Thank you,

Linda Gustitus, President
Rev. Richard Killmer, Executive Director

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Seeking the Romance of Life

A recent trip back to California, where I spent the middle half of my life (the part between the Seattle bookends)  and other smaller events have made me reflective of past events and places.  My brothers and I stopped in Santa Cruz, briefly, where I had lived for years, and stopped by a nightclub I had spent time in, the Catalyst, and asked the bartender the current status of local things. I found out Club Zayante in the Santa Cruz Mountain had closed.  When I got home I researched the Club, which was once of the hottest nightclubs in Central California to learn what happened.  I found out the club had closed for financial reasons then burned down. But what I learned about the owner, Tom Louagie intrigued me. He had come out from the east coast on a romantic quest, to find the Cannery Row he had read in Steinbeck. He had the idea of moving there and living a literary dream from the past.  He didn't know that that Cannery Row had died...

Swing States Swinging Against Meat Axe Budget Cuts and Anti-Labor Laws

Polls are showing wide swings of voters away from recently elected Republicans who are charing ahead with budget cuts and dismemberment of collective bargaining for public employee unions.   These polls are holding also for many of the recently elected Republican Congress people and in many states where the politics has been less volatile than the Upper Mid-West States. In Wisconsin, polls suggest that if there was a do over of the gubernatorial race in which Scott Walker decisively beat Tom Barret, Barrett would easily win by 52%.  Walker's support in union households has dropped from 40% to 33% and Tom Barrett's union household support has jumped from 54% to 64%.  Barrett's support among Republicans has risen to 10%.  In Michigan the new Governor created what people are calling financial martical law, where he can declare a financial emergency in a local government, take it over, and void union contracts. ...